XFCE from trunk problems

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 3 05:15:28 CEST 2008

(Please don't CC: me.  I'm on the list, obviously.)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:32:15 +0200 Perriman wrote:

> El Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:15:46 -0700
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> escribió:
>
> > Perriman wrote:
> >
> > > I find a problem: The xfce.desktop is not copied to the correct
> > > place.
> > >
> > > I have copied it manually to /usr/share/xsessions/xfce.desktop. I
> > > think this is a bug...
> >
> > No, this is probably either a) the location being distro-specific,
> > or b) you installing Xfce to a prefix other than /usr.
>
> I have installed the package using --prefix=/usr. I'm using ubuntu
> hardy And you?

Not really relevant -- I don't use a display manager, so the file
doesn't get installed at all on my system.

Looking at the configure script, it appears that xfce.desktop gets
installed to $(datadir)/xsessions, so it should work properly if you
pass --enable-gdm to configure.  The logic for all that is pretty
crappy; feel free to submit a patch if you'd like to clean it up.

> > > The last problem and more important: When I compile some
> > > libraries, the xfce menu disapear from the panel and I need
> > > restart and reinsert it in the panel.
> >
> > Yup, known issue.  libxfce4menu has some bugs that haven't been
> > ironed out yet.  If this is a problem for you, you shouldn't be
> > running svn trunk.  Don't ever expect it to be production-worthy, or
> > even stable (though in practice it's usually pretty stable).
>
> I want to develop for xfce and I need install the last source code, If
> if prehaps I develop a plugin and it will not work for 4.5

The plugin API in 4.4 and 4.5/4.6 are compatible; no need to develop
against svn trunk if you just want to write a panel plugin.

	-brian