newbie questions on xfce

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 01:32:59 CEST 2008

--- On Sat, 5/31/08, Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: newbie questions on xfce
> To: itsme_410 at yahoo.com, "XFCE general discussion list" <xfce at xfce.org>
> Date: Saturday, May 31, 2008, 2:34 PM
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Globe Trotter
> <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Umh. In the shortcuts tab in the window manager
> settings.
> >> You select
> >> the shortcut theme to use from the list to the
> right....
> >
> > Hmmm....I click on Settings -> Window Manager
> Settings. I get 4 tabs for style, keyboard focus and
> advanced.
> >
> > I go to Keyboard. MyTheme is highlighted. I click on
> it some more. No change. Is this what you were suggesting I
> do?
> >
> > Many thanks again,
> > Trotter
> >

> Yes. When it is selected, the shortcuts defined within it
> should be
> active. In any case, I tried doing exactly what you wanted
> to do (bind
> raise window to f1), and it worked wonderfully. One thing
> you could
> try is going into the keyboard settings to check so no
> command
> shortcut is overriding it (ie also binding f1).
>
> // Alexander

Hi,

Thanks very much! I exited and went back in and worked. Perhaps had something to do with starting the session. I have a couple more questions, however.

I like having a big clock (oclock) on the screen. So, I type oclock and it shows up all right. However I wonder how I can make it "sticky" across workspaces? This does not seem to have a window menu so i can not ask for it to be sticky across workspaces like that.

The second question I have pertains to the desktop sessions. I want to get rid of the trash can, the home and the filesystem. I have no use for them. So I get rid of the Allow Xfce to manage the desktop in Desktop Preferences under Settings Manager, but that also gets rid of the window list display upon middle click of the mouse. How do I do the latter? I guess the question may be: how do I create my new preferences?

Thanks again for all the help!

Best wishes,
Trotter