CUPS not listed in print options

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 21 19:03:54 CET 2008

Gerard wrote:
> Obviously, I am doing something wrong. Under 'SETTINGS', 'PRINTING
> SYSTEM SELECTIONS', the only options are "NONE" or "BSD LPR". I have
> CUPS installed in conjunction with HPLIP {an HP C6180 printer}.
>
> I cannot figure out why CUPS is never listed as an option. What should
> I be looking for to correct the problem?

If you've compiled Xfce yourself, you need to have the CUPS 'devel'
packages installed before compiling.  If you've installed Xfce via
distro packages, either they didn't compile CUPS support in, or (more
likely) there's another package you need to install to get the CUPS
backend.  Your distro's documentation/help channel/forum would be the
best place to look next.

	-brian