Setting short cut key for plugin

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 01:39:49 CET 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 4:04 PM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:25:50 +0100, mmassonnet at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:28:26PM -0700, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-clipman-plugin/+bug/178320
> >
> > That is hardly an answer.  To sum up, the clipman will have a new
> > release, and a popup command will be provided aswell.
> Wouldn't it be now really time to think about a solution to get a
> xfce4-popup in the panel which can generally popup any plugin which
> register to a new popup-signal or something like this (as we told
> about before in the thread about the popup-command for the dict
> plugin)? I really dislike the idea that some plugins have their own
> code for the same purpose. Furthermore, I extended the code for the
> popup command in the dict plugin which I got from the windowlist plguin
> a little bit to add a usage message available with the -h/--help
> option. Other popu commands doesn't have this, a unique command line
> tool would be better, IMO.
>
> Nick, Jasper could you comment on this?

I'm neither, but. . .

$ xfce4-panel-msg plugin message

Then we add a 'message' signal for plugins to listen for, which passes
in the string above. The panel provides a trivial dbus api for sending
messages which xfce4-panel-msg uses.

Hmmm. Trouble is managing to send the signal to the right plugin. We
could use the plugin instance ID, but that isn't readily key bindable.
We could use the plugin name, but that's potentially problematic with
multple instances.

How do plugins which handroll this sort of thing handle it? Are they
all Xfce X-XFCE-Unique? Or do they have some internal logic?

Or maybe "command" is better than message.

> Regards,
> Enrico
>
> --
> Get my GPG key from http://www.uvena.de/pub.key

Erik
"Look at me still talking when there is Science to do"