Beep is back!

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 20:50:12 CET 2008

Well for a while on my xubuntu box the system beep was gone and I was
very happy. Recently the beep came back and I am not sure why. Even in
firefox, I disabled the beep (set
accessibility.typeaheadfind.enablesound to false) but it is still
beeping!

I tried disabling the beep through the gnome configuration manager
sound, but to no avail.

I tried the XFCE Sound configuration in the Xfce Settings Manager and
there doesn't appear to be any setting for disabling this beep.

I am in cube land so system beeps are really annoying to myself as
well as others. Is there any way in XFCE to completely disable the
ability for my computer to beep?

2.6.22-14-generic i686
xfce4 4.4.1
firefox 2.0.0.12

Dell Latitude D630
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)

Thank you,
Andrew