XFwm Compositor does not like work well with Image Magick import command

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 20:10:38 CET 2008

Hi

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Patrick <skibler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have xfwm4.4.2, Image Magick 6.3.8.3, and nvidia driver 169.09.
>
>  With the compositor turned on, I used import to take a screen shot:
>
>  import -window root screencap.png
>
>  This completely stalled the computer for about a minute, after which
>  it did finally did produce a screen shot. If I turn the compositor off
>  the import command is near instant, as usual.
>
>  Has anyone else stumbled across this? I couldn't even ssh into the
>  computer while it was happening :(. I am not a programmer and I have
>  no idea what may cause this. If I can should provide any more
>  information just let me know. Thank you.

I have seen similar behavior  (e.g. run glxgears, switch to fullscreen
with Alt-F11 and switch back to the normal size again, the system will
freeze for more than 40 seconds here) but I don't believe this is
related to xfwm4. /me thinks it is an issue with video memory
management but I have no clue on how the NVidia proprietary driver
works.

 - Can you move the mouse pointer during the freeze? If not, then the
problem lies in the X server
 - Did you try using xcompmgr? Does it show with xcompmgr?

Cheers,
Olivier.