Terminal bug: missing prompt

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 22:11:23 CET 2008

On 25/02/2008, Jean-Marie Pacquet <jm at pacquet.net> wrote:
> Oh no, it has nothing to do with luck. It's on purpose that /bin/sh is a
>  link to /bin/bash on slackware. This allows to define a default shell
>  for those who leave the field empty. So, if you want, you may define
>  another default shell.
>  ash is quite popular on slackware:
[stuff deleted]
>  There are many other choices than the old "sh".

No! It should not be like this. (I started as a Slackware user too.)

You cannot depend on /bin/sh being anything other than the
traditional /bin/sh (ash if you want). This is for compatibility
reasons; you can't link just any shell to /bin/sh and not
expect to have problems with shell scripts...

--
cheers,
-ambrose

Yahoo and Gmail must die. Yes, I use them, but they still must die.
PS: Don't trust everything you read in Wikipedia. (Very Important)