"xfce4-panel -x" ends session when xfce4-session is not in use

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 19:02:23 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Mads Michelsen <chochem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Yes, well, the thing is 'exit the program' used to (i.e. with xfce4-session
> running)  mean just that. Besides, 'xfce4-panel -q' is 'end the session' so
> obviously there should be a difference.
>
> Dunno about panel config but I guess you might as well play nice and just
> 'exit' politely :)
>
> - Mads

When running without the session manager, the default xinitrc is setup
so that xfce4-panel is run last, and is run without &. The rest of the
applications are run before, and with &, which means that they are put
into the background and other commands can be run before they exit.
This means that xfce4-panel is then what keeps your X session 'alive'.
If it exits, your whole X session will shut down, because the commands
coming after xfce4-panel will execute, and then when the xinitrc is
done executing, X will exit.

Regards, Alexander Toresson