"xfce4-panel -x" ends session when xfce4-session is not in use

Mads Michelsen chochem at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:12:01 CET 2008

Hi,

I've been spending some time figuring out the various parts of xfce4 and
recently tried starting xfce4 without using the session manager as suggested
in the xinitrc script (it didn't say how to 'not use it' so I just commented
the lines starting with the one saying "Run xfce4-session if installed")
Sort of partly because I was curious, partly because I prefer the control in
starting by script as opposed to session saving. Everything went well and
startup was as expected by the remaining part of the xinitrc script.
However, something I do not understand: I occasionally want to 'turn off'
the panels to gain screen space. Since you can't hide the panels, I've added
a keyboard shortcut to start and exit the panels, 'xfce4-panel' and
'xfce4-panel -x' respectively, which worked pretty well while the session
manager was running. However, when it isn't, exiting the panel, drops the
whole session on the floor and I'm returned to gdm. I figure I just don't
udnerstand how the various parts do what jobs but I fail to see the logic
here? The window manager and the mcs thingy, whatever it is that it does,
are still runnning. So why is the panel suddenly vital?

- Mads