Remote configuration

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Sat Feb 9 00:43:08 CET 2008

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:24:51 -0800
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > If this isn't possible: I wanted to change the name of the background
> > of the remote machine, and I couldn't find the file where this config
> > item is stored. It is now set to the 'flower.png' image... Looked for
> > files with 'flower' in them - didn't find any in the most obvious
> > places. Where is this path stored?
>
> *chuckle* This is an artifact of something kinda cool, but, as you've
> found, also kinda annoying.  xfce-mcs-manager stores settings using the
> XSETTINGS protocol/spec.  XSETTINGS uses a special property on the root
> window of the display's default screen (or something like that, I don't
> remember).  Furthermore, xfce-setting-show communicates with
> xfce-mcs-manager by sending the manager a client message on the display
> it's started on.  The idea behind this was (partially) that X clients
> run from another machine make use of all the settings (mainly theming)
> of the local display.

'kinda cool' is quite relative. It did scare me good... I revised the
link several times to be sure I wasn't hallucinating.

> So if you run xfce-setting-show on machine A, but using display B, it's
> going to send a message to xfce-mcs-manager on display B, and display B
> is going to display its settings panels, not display A's.

So... That does call for some kind of solution, I'd say. Maybe just
a small command-line tool to change the remote configuration of a machine.
Else there's no easy to update a remote config without a long walk
(about 2 km in my case, or the extra X11vnc install (I'll look into
that)).

Thanks for the confirmation that wasn't completely out of it...
John