auto login with xfce?

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 8 14:01:03 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 01:28:03PM +0100, samuel wrote:
> i have something similar in one of my init scripts... (the last script)
> problems: hal related stuff is f* up...
>
> - can't shutdown (sometimes it asks a password, sometimes shutdown and
> restart are greyed out)
> - can't mount removable stuff
>
> i have something like: su -c "cd && startxfce4" samuel
> i needed the "cd" command otherwise thunar and terminal would start in
> / instead of /home/samuel...

but if this is the command you're really using, it's not unexpected to have
errors. as someone already pointed out, you need to add a dash to the su
command, so that the environment is properly set up for user samuel:

su - samuel -c /usr/bin/startxfce4

cd shouldn't be necessary anymore. just 'su' changes user in the current
working dir, 'su -' runs a login shell as the new user.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments