auto login with xfce?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Thu Feb 7 22:29:26 CET 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:15:27 -0700, "David Mohr" <damailings at mcbf.net>
wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2008 2:13 PM, Joost Kremers <joostkremers at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > hi list,
> >
> > this may not be the best place to ask, so if i need to go elsewhere, just
> > let me know.
> >
> > i've recently bought an asus eeepc 4G and am in the process of installing
> > slackware on it, obviously with xfce. now, since this isn't going to be a
> > multi-user machine and because i want it to be ready for use quickly, i'd
> > like to have this machine boot into xfce automatically, without having to
> > log in. i've searched google and there seem to be various ways of doing
> > this. is there any one way that is most suitable or recommended in
> > combination with xfce?
>
> My suggestion would be to look into gdm, which I think has an autologin option.
> AFAIK xfce doesn't have a login-manager at this time.
using (g|k)dm is very contrary to the requested feature: quickly.
Even sdm or xdm would be overkill.

Seriously, why should one use a display manager to log in
automatically? It's just a big bloat of unnecessary code to load.

I don't know yet the best solution, but the first idea which comes to
my mind is to use an init script, the last one in /etc/rc2.d(or
whatever runlevel you boot by default, rc2.d is default for Debian
systems). In this init script, you just start your Xfce session with su
or sudo, e.g.
#!/bin/sh

su enrico -c /home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/bin/startxfce4

(the above is an untested example for my system, you probably want to
change username and path ;-)). Maybe there are better ways, maybe it's
better to use sudo instead of su.

Ideas are welcome, I'm planning to do this too.

Regards,
Enrico