auto login with xfce?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 7 22:28:15 CET 2008

Joost Kremers wrote:
> hi list,
>
> this may not be the best place to ask, so if i need to go elsewhere, just
> let me know.
>
> i've recently bought an asus eeepc 4G and am in the process of installing
> slackware on it, obviously with xfce. now, since this isn't going to be a
> multi-user machine and because i want it to be ready for use quickly, i'd
> like to have this machine boot into xfce automatically, without having to
> log in. i've searched google and there seem to be various ways of doing
> this. is there any one way that is most suitable or recommended in
> combination with xfce?

The absolute easiest dirt-simple way to do this would be to add an
initscript that runs a the end of bootup and does:

su - $YOUR_USERNAME -c startxfce4

(Note the '-' in that command; without it, root's environment will
likely leak into yours.)

I've done something similar for my HTPC/PVR box at home, though it just
runs startx as it's only running fvwm2.

Otherwise you'd have to look into a display manager like gdm that has
auto-login support.

	-brian