An xmodmap Issue

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 00:29:45 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my notebook from Slackware-12.0 and
> Xfce-4.4.1 to -12.1 and -4.4.2. When I did, the line near the bottom of
> ~/.xfce4/xinitrc that reads
>
> xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
>
> was not invoked ... apparently. The ctrl/caps lock swap directed by .Xmodmap
> does not occur. I've not seen any error message generated.
>
>  However, if I run this exact command within a virtual console it works. I
> would like to have this command automatically run once again when I start X.
> Might this be something related to Xfce?

Hello,

The bottom of your xinitrc is only executed when you haven't got
xfce4-session installed, and you _log out_ of your session.

Put the line above where xfce4-session is started, instead.

In any case, I have already the following line in my default xinitrc:

test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

Was perhaps added after 4.4?

// Alexander