ANN: midori version 0.0.20 released

christian at twotoasts.de christian at twotoasts.de
Sun Aug 24 03:45:05 CEST 2008

Heya,

time for a new Midori release. There are probably not as many visible
changes as with the previous release, but one thing that is a major
selling point for some users, is single instance support. Provided you
have libUnique which is based on dBus, subsequent calls of "midori" will
call the original instance instead of spawning independant processes.
More importantly "midori http://www.twotoasts.de" will open a website in
a new tab. Incidentally instances are per display, so you can still run
Midori on different X servers. (Note that multiple instances will still
overwrite each other's config files, though).
Support for userscripts is being improved with time, for example Midori
started to read the names of scripts and show them in the panel and the
list is updated if you add new files to the folder. Also userstyles are
supported now, they go in ~/.local/share/midori/styles, similar to scripts.
Oh, and curiously, we have an Extension icon now. The actual extension
support is still incomplete but it's a start. Apart from that I actually
made an effort to have *some* stock icon for any possibly missing icon
in the interface except for the throbber. That still means you should
have an XDG compliant theme but you won't see only broken images if
icons are missing.

So much for that, it's nice to see Midori coming along well. There seem
to be users on more platforms than I can even claim to have seen myself
by now. Midori fans use Linux, BSD, Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Openbox, MacOS,
Windows, E-Ink, Maemo, ... there may be more. I am happy to observe how
portability can actually work and not only serve as a marketing term.

ciao,
    Christian

Download this release:
  http://goodies.xfce.org/releases/midori/midori-0.0.20.tar.bz2