Thunar presumes all USB sticks are VFAT

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Sun Aug 17 20:57:01 CEST 2008

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On ven, 2008-08-15 at 23:30 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
>> It seams that Thunar presumes all USB sticks are VFAT.
>
> I disagree. I can perfectly mount ext3 keys here. Could you send the
> (expurged) output of lshal when the key is plugged in?
>
> Cheers,

Figured it out.  Thunar is looking for a hint as to what fs
the stick is using in /etc/fstab.  So I changed the third
parameter on the /dev/sdc1 line from "vfat" to "auto" and
now Thunar mounts the ext3 sticks correctly.  Mind you,
not it the directory I want, but it usually does not
cause much of a problem.  (I have a different stick
I like to use in "/mnt/TripStick", but ...)

fstab before:
/dev/sdc1        /mnt/TripStick      vfat
pamconsole,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,rw,users
0 0

after:
/dev/sdc1        /mnt/TripStick      auto