Menu lag on an old laptop

Richard Querin rfquerin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 20:32:47 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Артем Смирнов <smirnoffjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can confirm this issue with modern videocards: same with Intel i815,
> GeForce 7600 and GeForce 8600 with direct rendering in all cases.
>
> 2008/8/12 samuel <samuel.verstraete at gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Hex1a4 <hex1a4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On XFCE 4.4.2, on an old laptop. With compositing enabled, the menu lags
>>> a lot.
>>
>> disable composition... the driver of your gpu is almost certainly not
>> doing any acceleration, so composition is completely done on your
>> cpu... which is already
>
> --
> Artyom

This might sound silly (or stupid on my part), but on my 5 year old P4
machine, I had all sorts of problems in system lag (with and without
Compiz). It has 32MB of shared on-board video ram (Intel 915 chipset).
The problem was that the video ram was only set to 8MB in the bios.
Once I upped that to 32MB, the lag essentially disappeared and it
became much more stable. I can run almost all Compiz effects on it
without much problem although xfwm4 works better for me so I use that
instead. Granted, 32 is a lot more than 16. You might just want to
check the bios and make sure that all 16MB is getting used.

RQ