desktop doesn't have different icons for different file types and dbus requirement and taskbar and toolbar at same place?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Aug 8 22:17:27 CEST 2008

Three questions below:

1) My wife's desktop only shows one icon graphic that looks like a piece
of paper. This is repeated for all types of file types or folders.

It seems like it would have different icons for zip files, folders, PDFs,
etc.

The files shown on desktop appear to correspond with what is in the
~/Desktop directory. Except there are two "Home" icons and also a Trash.
(There are a desktop files under various directories in the home,
including ~/.local/share/applications/ and other locations. The same home
has been used on various BSD and Linux systems, GNOME, KDE, and others for
at least six years.)

Attached is a small example.

What can I do to get the correct icons to be displayed?

I have these related packages from "pkgsrc" on NetBSD/amd64 4.99.67:

xfce4-dev-tools-4.4.0.1 Xfce development tools
libxfce4util-4.4.2  Xfce basic library
libxfce4gui-4.4.2   Xfce widget library
libxfce4mcs-4.4.2   Xfce settings management library
xfce4-mcs-manager-4.4.2 Xfce settings manager
xfce4-mcs-plugins-4.4.2 Xfce settings manager plugins
xfce4-wm-4.4.2      Xfce window manager
xfce4-panel-4.4.2   Xfce panel
xfce4-mixer-4.4.2   Xfce mixer plugin
dbus-1.2.1nb1       Message bus system
dbus-glib-0.76      GLib bindings for the D-BUS message bus system
xfce4-exo-0.3.4     Xfce extension library
xfce4-thunar-0.9.0nb1 Xfce file manager
xfce4-desktop-4.4.2 Xfce desktop background manager
xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.2 Xfce icon themes
xfce4-print-4.4.2   Xfce print dialog
thunar-archive-plugin-0.2.4 Thunar plugin to create and extract archive
files

2) My second question is about dbus requirement. The xfdesktop uses
libdbus and libdbus-glib. I don't have dbus daemon running. Is there any
run-time or build option to periodically check file/directory changes
without using DBUS?

3) Anyway to get the panel and standard menu bar at same place? I have the
panel at top (default I assume) and the XFCE menu at middle bottom. I want
to put both at top or bottom so to not waste space.

Thanks!