Background doesn't appear on startup

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Sat Aug 2 07:54:51 CEST 2008

Hello people.

I have xfce installed on several machines here without problems, but on my
notebook, where 4.5.0 is installed (IIRC from Slackware 12.0), I have a
problem with the background.

On 'startx', the default xfce4 mouse appears as background, even though:

-xfdesktop is running (menu works, and there _is_ an image)
-the background image is selected, and enabled.

If I disable/re-enable the checkbox on the desktop setting, the correct
image appears. Why doesn't this happen from the start? I tried to follow
the xinit trail, but couldn't find anything strange.

If I do 'ps ax', I noticed that on the notebook the session manager runs
before the rest of the xf*** programs, while on the other computer, it's
last. Dunno if that's related or not...

Suggestions?

John