simple x server for running XFce from a Windows client

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 1 20:28:03 CEST 2008

Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

>     I have a customer with a M$XP machine that has
> to walk 1/2 mile (or telnet) to get to the main Linux
> server.  It seems to me that there is a simple X server
> that will run off of XFce to give him remote access
> to the server, but I am not finding it.  Any suggestions?

I think what you really want is an X server on the WinXP machine.  Then
you can ssh (or telnet, yuck) to the Linux server and Cygwin's xorg port
should run on WinXP and act as your display.  This really doesn't have
anything to do with Xfce; in this case you'd run the Cygwin X server in
rootless mode and run no X WM or DE.  X clients will just appear on the
WinXP machine in normal native windows.

	-brian