Thunar unmount volume problem

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Fri Sep 28 20:32:09 CEST 2007

Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Todd and Margo Chester <ToddAndMargo at verizon.net> writes:
>
>>>  From /etc/fstab:
>>> /dev/sdc1        /mnt/TripStick      vfat
>>> pamconsole,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,rw,users
>>> 0 0
>>>
>>> So, fstab (sdc1) disagrees with mtab (sde1).
>>>
>>> P.S. all this would go away if "mount" would
>>> respect vfat "labels"
>>>

> This might not be you issue, but shouldn't your fstab entry be `user'
> and not `users'?

In my fstab, I was shooting for this (from "man mount":

        If any user should be able to unmount,  then
        use users instead of user in the fstab line.

My problem was that I have a script to mount three
sticks that I use based on the stick's label.  I
have to do this because the kernel will assign
the "dev" (/dev/sdc1) in order that I insert the
sticks and not by the mount point in fstab.

I have modified the script so that it will unmount
them by label as well.  So, problem not solved but
adequately worked around.

The big problem is that the fstab "label" option
only applied to ext3 drives.  :-(

-T