Thunar unmount volume problem

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Fri Sep 28 00:22:21 CEST 2007

Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I use three USB stick at one time.  They get
> mounted by order that they are inserted.  Dismounting
> them can be fun with Thunar 0.8.0.  Is there a way that
> the Thunar folks can come up with a work around for
> when mtab and fstab disagree?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>
> When unmounting a USB stick (not mounted by Thunar),
> I get:
>
> Failed to unmount "TRIPSTICK".
> umount: /mnt/MyCDs is not mounted (according to mtab).
>
> Looking at /etc/mtab
> #grep -i trip /etc/mtab
> /dev/sde1 /mnt/TripStick vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,uid=500,gid=100 0 0
>
> Which means that it really is mounted.
>
> and,
>
> as user:
> umount -v /mnt/TripStick
> umount: /mnt/TripStick mount disagrees with the fstab
>
> as root:
> #umount -v /mnt/TripStick
> /dev/sde1 umounted
>
> User can not dismount from the command line, but
> root can.
>

>  From /etc/fstab:
> /dev/sdc1        /mnt/TripStick      vfat
> pamconsole,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,rw,users
> 0 0
>
> So, fstab (sdc1) disagrees with mtab (sde1).
>
> P.S. all this would go away if "mount" would
> respect vfat "labels"

I have been thinking about my posting.  I now believe it is not
possible for Thunar to dismount drives mount in this fashion without
root privileges.

So, let me revise my request: if the above scenario happens, modify
Thunar to give the correct error message.

My humble suggestion for the test of the message would be:

      [$Device] mount disagrees with the fstab.  You must
      be root to do this.

Many thanks,
-T