Handling of volumes: thunar vs. places

JoeHill joehill at teksavvy.com
Fri Sep 21 19:29:07 CEST 2007

Grant McWilliams wrote:

> On 9/21/07, Diego Ongaro <ongardie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/21/07, JoeHill <joehill at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Curious about something: in Thunar, when I connect my external drive, I
> > can
> > > immediately open a window in that new volume from the shortcut pane on
> > the left
> > > side. I do not _seem_ to need to take the step of mounting first. With
> > the
> > > places plugin, I need to first navigate to the new volume, mount it,
> > then open
> > > the menu again to open it.
> > >
> > > If the places plugin uses the same functions as Thunar to open the new
> > volume,
> > > why the extra step?
> > >
> > > Lazy? Hell yes ;)
> > >
> > > --
> > > JoeHill
> >
> > I won't waste effort in typing; please have a look at
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-places-plugin/+bug/136940
> > . Feel free to take actions 2 or 3 described there.
> >
> > -Diego Ongaro
> > (xfce4-places-plugin author)
> >

> Just sounds like the old toilet seat up/toilet seat down problem. One person
> thinks it better for the desktop to be as automatic as possible, the other
> thinks nothing should be done unless we specifically do it. Even though I've
> been an admin for two decades as Linux becomes more polished and the user
> base changes I'm siding with the former. It is really nice when I plug in a
> USB device and I don't have to manually mount it. I mean if I have enough
> brains to mount the volume manually I have enough to unmount it manually
> right, so why can't I just unmount it manually if I need to? Even better
> let's make it so it unmount automatically in a clean manner than we have the
> best of both worlds. I'm sure I'm going to get jumped for even suggesting
> that we make the Linux desktop experience nicer (God forbid it be as good as
> other desktops - I won't mention names) but isn't it time?

Honestly, if Thunar behaved the same way, ie. requiring me to mount the volume
before opening it, I would never have asked. It was only because it seemed to
me that the behaviour was different between the two. Seeing the way Thunar
behaved gave me the impression that it was normal for new volumes to be mounted
automatically.

--
JoeHill