Sessions & Dual Screen

David Mohr damailings at mcbf.net
Sat Sep 8 19:07:17 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,
first of all I'm aware this might not be an xfce problem, but it plays
a central role, so I thought I'd ask here first.

I have a dual screen setup (not xinerama, but as two separate X
screens), and I like to have some applications always on my second
screen. In particular Pidgin and Skype I have running pretty much all
the time, and thus like them to just get handled by the session
management.

Now when I log out and back in, both applications always appear on the
first X screen, and not the second. If I look at the sessions file in
.config, I can see that for those apps that get placed correctly, the
restart command includes a --display :0.X , while pidgin and skype
don't. It seems they don't support that command line parameter!

Is there a way to work around this? I.e. a DISPLAY=:0.1 pidgin works
of course. Well, I can go and check with the pidgin devs to see why
they don't implement --display, but I suppose it would be a bit harder
for skype... can anyone give me some pointers here? Thanks a lot!

~David