Kill, must kill!

Jonathan Hepburn jonathan.hepburn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:38:36 CET 2007

On 10/28/07, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm... That's not what I want. I still think kill should be available
> > directly through the Window Manager.
> >
> > Plus, for some strange reason, when I use xkill (testing purposes),
> > the GTK theme goes away and I get the foul default back.
>
> What you call the "kill" function in the WM is basically XKillClient()
> which is exactly what xkill does [1].
>
> Now, if the gtk theme return to its default, this is because you killed
> the xsettings manager, ie in xfce what is called the xfce-settings-manager.
>
> This is not related to the method used to kill, but what you actually
> killed...
>
> [1]
> http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/*checkout*/xc/programs/xkill/xkill.c?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I maintain that I would prefer to
have kill available through the WM, but I'll be happy to use xkill in
the meantime.

Yes, I was, not sure why now, killing xfce-settings-manager. I'm
slightly surprised that killing the manager unsets the settings. It's
slightly unintuitive. Not knowing any better I'll take your word for
it!

Slainte,