Kill, must kill!

Jonathan Hepburn jonathan.hepburn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 00:48:36 CEST 2007

On 10/28/07, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/07, Kok, Auke <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> > Grant McWilliams wrote:
> > > I too would like a real kill from the desktop.
> >
> > alt-f2 -> "xkill" -> point-and-shoot
>
> As mentioned earlier, "xkill" is not a perfect substitute to "kill".
> The only thing that xkill does is cut the connection from the X
> server. After the window is closed, the process can perfectly keep
> running and consuming ~100% of your CPU. In specific cases this can be
> aggravating, and an "xfce4-taskmanager" or "kill PID" in Terminal is
> needed. The latter two are quite awkward and time-consuming solutions.
>
> Regards,
> Liviu

I think the discussion has now started to go around in circles a bit,
but everyone else's thinking has followed much the same paths as my
own. I'll use xkill and/or taskmanager for now, but if Olivier is
reconsidering, my vote is to put "kill" back in.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions/time.

Slainte,