xfce4-panel -r hooks?

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:14:23 CEST 2007

Are there any hooks for scripts that can be executed when the
xfce4-panel is restarted?

Let me explain why I would want this, and perhaps someone has a better idea:

I have 2 monitors, the laptop screen and an external monitor. The
xfce4-panel does not correctly update after xrandr 1.2 changes are
applied, so I am forcing a "xfce4-panel -r" command from my xrandr
script that I use to configure my monitors.

I call this script when I leave work and when I get in since I don't
have the 2nd monitor when I am using the laptop at home. knotes and
nm-applet stop running when the tray is closed (not sure if other
applications have the same issue, but these are the ones affecting
me).

I may call "xfce4-panel -r" from more than one location, so would
rather not disperse the code for restarting these applications. If
there is a hook for the restart, I could simply restart the
applications in the script.

My other alternative would be to have my own script called xfce4-panel
that checks for the "-r" flag, runs the real one then proceeds to
restart the applications, but I don't see this as a very good option.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Andrew