Keep losing my volume control?

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:58:22 CEST 2007

On 10/22/07, Andrew Robinson <andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the volume control plugin added to my xfce panel. At times (not
> sure exactly when), it keeps disappearing on me (no longer in the
> panel). When I re-add it, it goes back to the default settings
> (wannabe master and device are no longer set to my previous settings).

The mixer applet is external, meaning a seperate process runs in the
background, so that mixer bugs don't cause the whole panel to crash.
This process is exiting for some reason, and the applet gets removed.

If you readd any applet, the new instance of the applet gets a new
config file, for various reasons, including if your settings are
what's causing the applet to crash. This is why you have to reconfig
each time.

I don't see the problem over here on either my work machine or my home
machine, both running ubuntu, recently upgraded from feisty.

You could try killing the panel, and rerunning it from a terminal,
then wait for the applet to vanish, then check the terminal for
errors.

> Any ideas on this problem?
>
> xfce4-panel 4.4.1-1-ubuntu3
> xfce4-mixer-alsa 1:4.4.1-3ubuntu1
>
> Thank you,
> Andrew

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson