thunar, determine what application for a given mime type

Martin Kraus lists_mk at wujiman.net
Sun Oct 14 17:27:35 CEST 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 04:23:28PM +0200, Alexander Toresson wrote:
> On 10/14/07, Martin Kraus <lists_mk at wujiman.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >   I'm using svn mplayer and I would like to add it as a default application
> > for video/* mime type. Is there any spec according to which this is done? I
> > couldn't find any.
>
> When you set a default application for a mime type, thunar writes to
> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. It might be possible to
> add wildcarded assignments to this file.

I can add an application throught a thunar right-click menu. it then writes to
~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list. I tried to add wildcards, but it
doesn't work. Also, I looked at the xdg specifications and could find only
specs for determining mime-types for files, not how they should be opened. I
hoped there is a way to simply put a configuration somewhere saying that this
.desktop is used for such and such mime-types and it would automaticaly show
in the right-click menu. Also that there would be a preference system, that
would say open with mplayer on doubleclick but give options to open with all
applications that support given mime-type in the right-click menu, such as
aditing tags etc. Sometimes you want to view html in a browser, sometimes you
want to open it in an editor to edit the source.

mk