xfce4-panel does not pick up xrandr 1.2 changes

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Oct 9 20:35:51 CEST 2007

Hey Andrew,

2007/10/9, Andrew Robinson <andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com>:
> I am using xrandr with 1.2 extensions to configure my multiple monitor
> support with a laptop and an external monitor. The xfce4-panel does
> not pick up the changes though. When I enable a monitor, then go into
> configuring the panel, it does not show that there are two monitors.
> Also, when I disable a monitor, the panel doesn't correctly position
> itself on the remaining monitor. As a result I have to execute:
>
> if pgrep xfce4-panel > /dev/null ; then
>   pkill xfce4-panel
>   xfce4-panel &
> fi
>
> Which is messy to say the least.
>
> Is there a way to tell xfce4-panel to re-configure itself (a kill
> signal for example)?
>
> The man page does not show any options for the panel and it doesn't
> seem like there is a way to tell it to re-position itself from the
> command-line.
>
> Versions:
> xfce4-panel 4.4.1-1ubuntu3
> xrandr 1:1.2.2-0ubuntu1
> libxrandr2 2:1.2.1-1
>
> Hardware:
> Dell Latitude D630 (Intel driver)
>
> Example xrandr usage that is reproducing the problem:
>
> # disable the external monitor:
> xrandr --output TMDS-1 --off
> # enable the external monitor:
> xrandr --output TMDS-1 --auto
> # move the external monitor above the laptop display:
> xrandr --output TMDS-1 --above LVDS

xfce4-panel -r

Does that do the trick?

I think there is a bug report already about Xrandr 1.2.  What I think
it means is that the panel doesn't get a screen-changed notification
from Gtk, so it doesn't know things were changed.  I have no idea if
this is a problem with Gtk, or that the panel needs to do something
special to support Xrandr 1.2.

--
        Jasper