Problems With 4.4.1 Upgrade

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 8 01:54:29 CEST 2007

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Definitely a Slackware issue; we certainly don't touch this file. Though
> it seems odd that Slackware would touch anything in $HOME either.

   That's what I thought, Brian. I've no idea why the setup file changed.
But, with the change in how X is packaged, we're told to make a new
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file and for each user to run xwmconfig. The latter, as I
understand the man page, only selects the window manager to be used. Any
way, when I tried running it the only response was 'cancelled.' Strange.

> You negelected to mention what your old version of Xfce was.  If it was
> 4.2.x, then some of this is normal -- the panel configuration file format
> was changed between 4.2 and 4.4, and unfortunately there's no migration
> script.

   Yes, it was 4.2.x.

   Well, when I get things working properly in the rest of the upgrade, I'll
re-do the appearance of Xfce to suit my preferences.

> As for panel plugins, they'll need to be update for the new panel as well
> -- if there aren't Slackware packages, you'll have to do that on your own.

   No Slackware packages; I'll get new ones as the last step.

> The black background probably just means that (for some reason) xfdesktop
> isn't getting started as a part of your session.  Hitting alt+f2 will
> bring up the run dialog, and you can run 'xfdesktop' there.  Then quit
> xfce and save your session.

   Ah, OK. I've lost the panel a few times on systems running 4.2.x, but not
the desktop. I think, however, something else is wrong and changes aren't
being saved. The display goes bonkers when I close a Xfce setting dialog.

Thanks,

Rich

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)