Problems With 4.4.1 Upgrade

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 7 23:44:20 CEST 2007

Hi folks!

   This weekend I've upgraded my notebook from Slackware-11.0 to -12.0, but
I've hit some serious issues with the Xfce4 upgrade, and I've not figured
out how to resolve them. If this thread would be more appropriate on
alt.os.linux.slackware, I'll move it over there.

   First, the upgrade blew away ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc. While I had made a
backup on my workstation/server, I neglected to copy over all the dot-files.
Sigh. Another good lesson learned.

   Xfce-4.4.1 loads, but with a black background, an abbreviated panel with
none of my applications on it (including the lock screen and settings
icons), including the battery charge status applet that's important on a
portable. However, the major issue is that while I discovered how to get to
the settings, every time I make a change and close the dialog box, the
screen is left with random white boxes, blocks of spackled colors, and other
indications of an ill system.

   I've not had these issues with prior distribution upgrades, so I don't
have a clue where to start figuring out what's wrong. I can send
/var/log/Xorg.0.log and ~/.config/xfce4/xinintrc if those help.

TIA,

Rich

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)