ANN: ristretto version 0.0.7 released

Yogiz yogizz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 06:33:47 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 00:13:50 +0300
Mişu Moldovan <dumol at gnome.ro> wrote:

> Well, I'll bite... "The only intuitive interface known to man is the
> nipple" said someone more knowledgeable. I've had my share of
> experiences with newbies and I think there's little chance they will
> intuitively hit left and right arrows for navigating back and forth.
> Up and down arrows would probably have more chances, given that they
> are oriented "forward" and "back" in relation with the body of the
> user in front of the keyboard.
I'd have to say, that "left" and "right" do seem to be the most
logical way of navigating. I normally only use my image viewer to look
through my pictures in full screen with "fit to screen" on, and
Mirage's way with the arrow keys is very easy on the hand.

> Besides, when navigating from image to image in a directory, keep in
> mind that sometimes the image is bigger than the screen and the user
> doesn't see it in it's entirety if he uses a 1:1 view. What
> keyboard keys should he use for scrolling the image left and right to
> see the unexposed sides?
I don't use that too much, perhaps use shift+arrow keys here.

> Anyway, there seem to be at least three schemas of shortcuts assigned
> to "back" and "forth" movement when navigating through a list of
> images in a directory: Backspace/Space, PgUp/PgDown and Left/Right.
> However, I have usability concerns regarding the third one.
>
> Most GTK+ apps seem to implement the first two schemas (GQview,
> GThumb, Eog) while the third is implemented only in Eog. I also see
> that when the image is zoomed in, the left and right arrows don't
> navigate in Eog either. Don't know about the Mirage viewer, it's not
> in Debian stable, so I guess it doesn't exist...
Yeah, as I said, Mirage implements it and it does so well. I'm actually
rather content with it as it is, I just thought I'd share my thoughts.