ANN: ristretto version 0.0.7 released

Mişu Moldovan dumol at gnome.ro
Mon Oct 1 23:13:50 CEST 2007

"Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash at gmail.com> a scris:
> On 10/1/07, Mişu Moldovan <dumol at gnome.ro> wrote:
> > "Liviu Andronic" <landronimirc at gmail.com> a scris:
> > > BACKSPACE is somewhat counter-intuitive. Although it does suggest a
> > > certain "backwards movement", it also represents the delete process.
> > > Another issue is that SPACE and BACKSPACE are relatively far away from
> > > each other, when contrasted with the arrow keys, for example.
> >
> > Then how come that in Thunar, the Xfce file manager, Backspace is bound
> > to hhmmm, going back? Nevermind that all GTK+ image viewer apps that I
> > know (GQview, GThumb and Eog) use the "Backspace"/"Space" AND
> > "PageUp"/"PageDown" paradigms for moving back and forth from image to
> > image in a directory...
>
> popular != intuitive, look at Windows and arguably GNOME as well.

Well, I'll bite... "The only intuitive interface known to man is the
nipple" said someone more knowledgeable. I've had my share of
experiences with newbies and I think there's little chance they will
intuitively hit left and right arrows for navigating back and forth. Up
and down arrows would probably have more chances, given that they are
oriented "forward" and "back" in relation with the body of the user in
front of the keyboard.

Besides, when navigating from image to image in a directory, keep in
mind that sometimes the image is bigger than the screen and the user
doesn't see it in it's entirety if he uses a 1:1 view. What
keyboard keys should he use for scrolling the image left and right to
see the unexposed sides?

Anyway, there seem to be at least three schemas of shortcuts assigned to
"back" and "forth" movement when navigating through a list of images in
a directory: Backspace/Space, PgUp/PgDown and Left/Right. However, I
have usability concerns regarding the third one.

Most GTK+ apps seem to implement the first two schemas (GQview, GThumb,
Eog) while the third is implemented only in Eog. I also see that when
the image is zoomed in, the left and right arrows don't navigate in Eog
either. Don't know about the Mirage viewer, it's not in Debian stable,
so I guess it doesn't exist...

Enough rambling,

--
mişu