ANN: ristretto version 0.0.7 released

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:44:52 CEST 2007

> Hi Liviu,
>
> Concerning Thunar, I am quite satisfied with Enter (enters directory)
> and Alt+{left, right} for moving in current path back and forth.
>
> Cheers,
> Petr

It's hard to decide what's the best way to do it. I'd like to think that
XFCE doesn't have enough users to really tick people off by changing
something which may give us the flexibility to not follow other projects
convoluted paths. Think about if Microsoft changed all of their keyboard
shortcuts. Well actually I don't know a Windows user that actually uses them
but you get the idea.

I've seen enter and space bar both to be used to select an item. I've seen
just about every key possible to navigate and sometimes it has to do with
where the keys are instead of the intuitiveness of them (eg. using j and k
to go forward and back). I think by far the most intuitive way to go right,
left, up and down is with the right, left, up and down cursor keys.
Selecting is probably best done with the enter key or space bar. Going back
(as in parent) I don't know about. Anyway I bet I could test this theory on
unsuspecting computer newbs and it would prove true... I for one would use
keyboard shortcuts all the time if I didn't have to relearn for every
application known to man. But as it is I rarely use them because there's
only so much time in the day to learn new ways of doing the same thing.

Grant