Swap goes crazy

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:13:39 CET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 11:41 AM, Paul <paul at nlpagan.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After a very long time I am back with XFCE.
> It has evolved quite a bit!
>
> I have encountered a strange problem that perhaps is easy to fix: when running GIMP and opening 4 or more larger pictures (about 2048x1520 or so), swap goes crazy, fills up completely and it is almost impossible to kill Gimp.
>
> My PC has 512Mb RAM, and in the other WM (IceWM) I did not encounter this strange behaviour. Can someone tell me how I could make things behave?

Swapping behavior is always going to be kernel specific. You're
clearly hitting some memory threshold.

Two possibilities:

1) Xfce is more memory intensive than IceWM., and the difference is
enough to put you over some threshold for you VM system to get stupid

2) You installed Xfce from distro packages and grabbed some additional
upgrades that altered the configuration of the VM system, something
like a kernel upgrade.

Good luck!

> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> --
> What is now proved was once only imagined.
> -William Blake
>
> http://www.nlpagan.net
> Running on Mandriva Linux 2008 and Saucony Grid Omni 6

Erik
"Look at me still talking when there is Science to do"