Screen lock not holding

TerryX terauck-xfce at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 20 09:16:51 CET 2007

mmassonnet wrote:

> Sounds like a need for a keyboard shortcut.  I use to have Ctrl+Alt+L to
> call xscreensaver-command -lock.
>
> Of course you need a running daemon, so I hope you manage to start
> xscreensaver, through xfce4-autostart-editor or else.
>
> HTH
> mike

No, you are missing the point.  There is already a shortcut: add new item
[to panel] > "action buttons" ("Log out or lock the screen").  That was
capable of "locking" the screen but the lock could be by-passed - anyone
could re-enter the session without entering a password just by pressing a
key or moving the mouse.  I could create a shortcut in any number of ways,
the result would be the same.

Entering the 'xscreensaver-command -lock' command in the console resulted in
error messages.  Opening the xscreensaver configuration dialogue also
resulted in error messages.

All those problems went away when I changed the selected screen saver from
"Kaleidoscope" to "GLtext (clock)".  The documentation, as always, assumes
that the software is running correctly.  It seems that, if it's anyone's
problem, it belongs to the author of 'xscreensaver'.  If it becomes my
problem again, I'll try 'xlock', then give up.