thunar support for sftp and samba

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xfce at tikei.de
Thu Nov 8 10:05:00 CET 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:02:17 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Nigi Fabio wrote:
> > ok but it's not the top way ;-)
>
> It's a great way.
>
> > i speak about the protocol support:
> > like in nautilus where i write in the address bar
> >
> > sftp:// or samba:// if i mount it also midnight commander support
> > every network file system ;-)
>
> Thunar isn't a network browser; it's a file browser.  Writing a generic
> network-transparent file system layer isn't easy.  Come up with a clean
> way of doing it, and it just might be integrated.

>From http://thunar.xfce.org/news.html:

What's next?

As mentioned above, not all items from the 1.0.0 roadmap were
completed. One of the most often requested features is still in the
pipeline: Network support. This is because implementing this feature
properly is somewhat difficult, because we do not want a KDE or GNOME
like solution here, but a working(!) solution, transparent to all
applications, not only a few applications using KIO or gnome-vfs.

This feature will arrive with the 1.0.0 release, which is planned for
August 2007.

Regards,
Tino