wallpaper

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 7 19:45:12 CET 2007

Enrico Tröger wrote:

> If so, the requested feature should be quite easy to add. Add a
> spinbutton in the preferences dialog to define the timeout between
> changing the image and we need a timer(e.g. g_timeout_add()) which calls
> then the routine to change background. Maybe I'm missing something
> because I didn't look at the code at all but I guess it could be as
> easy as this.

Perhaps I should start a "Brian's Laws of Software Development":

1.  Don't make claims as to how easy or hard it is to add a feature to a
codebase you know nothing about.

Really, if I had a nickel for every time someone's said "it should be
easy to add X"...

There's also a question of whether or not I even *want* this feature in
xfdesktop.  As demonstrated, it's possible to do it outside of
xfdesktop, and I'm not sure this is a feature that's commonly-used
enough to warrant cluttering up the desktop settings dialog.  It's bad
enough as it is (and I already have a redesign planned).

On the other hand, the 'xfdesktop --reload' method is kinda icky, since
it does way more than necessary: not only does it reload the backdrop,
but it also throws away and redraws all the icons, and throws away and
regenerates the desktop menu.

	-brian