password for shutdown - how to bypass?

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed May 23 23:40:29 CEST 2007

Am Wed, 23 May 2007 17:30:12 -0300
schrieb "Bruno Schneider" <boschneider at gmail.com>:

> Since my last XFCE upgrade, I now have to enter my password whenever I
> want to shutdown (from the Quit option in the main XFCE menu). How do
> I disable that?
>
> I'm using Debian Lenny, if that matters.

There's something called xfsm-shutdown-helper in /usr/libexec/.
Usually, you would add an entry in /etc/sudoers, allowing one or more
users to run this command without being asked for their passwords.

So this actually is a question about sudo. I'm sure you will find a lot
of tutorials and howtos about it on the web. However, here's what I use
to have in the sudoers file:

  jannis  ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/usr/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Regards,
Jannis