question re: xfdesktop 4.4.1

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed May 16 18:51:30 CEST 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:43:06 -0400 Jason Keltz wrote:

>If I want to be able to display file/launcher icons on the desktop, is
>dbus required?  Is dbus required for anything else in xfce?   Exactly
>what dbus components do I need to compile?

D-Bus is required, yes.  You need dbus and dbus-glib.  (Pre 0.90-ish
versions of dbus had both in the same package.)  I don't think anything
else in Xfce *requires* D-Bus, but Thunar, Terminal, the Verve plugin,
and probably other stuff can make use of it if it's there.

>Since the "Desktop Preferences" is supposed to list "minimized
>applications" OR "file/launcher icons", what happens if you choose
>file/launcher icons and then minimize an application?

The application gets minimised.  It just isn't shown on the desktop.
If you want to know about them, you'll need to use a taskbar, iconbox,
or the desktop's middle-click window menu.

	-brian