.desktop files

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu May 10 13:02:03 CEST 2007

Hey,

Am Thu, 10 May 2007 17:04:58 +0700
schrieb "BuraphaLinux Server" <buraphalinuxserver at gmail.com>:

> My reading of this page:
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.0.html
>
> Leads me to believe %f would be replaced by a single file name if you
> were using the file manager and did an "open with other application"
> and chose the icon for app.

Please always reply at the bottom of the mail.

Your understanding of %f is correct. But in your initial mail you wrote
about starting your application from a menu. Are you referring to the
desktop menu / the menu plugin for the panel? Because if so, the %f
would be just ignored because the menu doesn't know about any files
(unless there is some kind of drag-a-file-to-a-menu-item feature
implemented).

If you're referring to Thunar (the scenario you described in *this*
mail) then yes, "Exec=app ... %f" should do what you need. Quoting
isn't needed at all in the Exec= line by the way. It works perfectly
here, even with your example.

  - Jannis