Question about Terminal

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Wed May 2 15:42:31 CEST 2007

Quoting Don Christensen <djc at cisco.com>:

> Anders Lind wrote:
>> Hello friends,
>>
>> I have a question regarding Terminal, is it calling some other file
>> then bash_profile when setting the bashprompt and where can I in that
>> case change it
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Anders
>
> I think that bash won't read the .bash_profile unless it's a login
> shell.  You can probably configure Terminal to start the shell as
> a login shell.  This might help if your problem is "the settings
> in my .bash_profile are not being applied".

Unless I'm dense I think you're looking for ~/.bashrc. This file is
executed by bash upon startup if it is not a login shell. To use your
customizations in both login and non-login shells, you can simply
source .bashrc in .bash_profile, like this:

if [ -e ~/.bashrc ] ; then
   source ~/.bashrc
fi

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
markus.hoenicka at cats.de
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")
http://www.mhoenicka.de