screensaver plugin issues

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Tue May 1 22:20:19 CEST 2007

Don Christensen wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:50:13 -0500 Don Christensen wrote:
>>
>>> I just set up a new machine with Ubuntu Feisty and grabbed the
>>> Xfce packages with synaptic.  I'm currently having an issue with
>>> the screensaver.  When I try to get to the screensaver config
>>> via the settings menu, I get the following error:
>>>
>>>     Xfce Settings Manager error:
>>>     No such plugin "screensaver"
>>>
>>> The settings manager of course does not offer a screensaver
>>> setting option.  I'm hoping I'm just missing a package, and
>>> someone here can provide a quick pointer (apologies if I missed
>>> a previous discussion on this).
>> Sounds like a packaging problem.  The packager didn't compile the
>> screensaver plugin, but still included its .desktop file.
>>
>> 	-brian
>
> I was afraid of that.  I might be better off dumping the provided
> packages and building myself.  I'd get 4.4.1 that way, at least.
>
> Thanks,
> -Don

Very odd--I sent a SIGHUP to xfce-mcs-manager after I looked and
found that I did indeed have screensaver_plugin.so, and it started
working.  There have been some other slightly odd things on this
machine, though, so there's no knowing what happened.

Thanks,
-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems             Austin, TX