F1 and F2 function keys cannot be redefined on Window Manager

OrionBelt orionbelt2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 12:39:52 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, Stephan Arts <psybsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/21/07, OrionBelt <orionbelt2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I recently upgraded to xfce-4.4, and i noticed that when i define the
> > function keys F1 and F2 (in the "Shortcuts" section of the Window
> > Manager settings tool), my definitions are accepted (no conflicts),
> > but then they have no effect at the Window Manager level: F1 always
> > works at the application level (usually bringing up annoying help
> > windows), while F2 does nothing. By contrast, defining F3 works fine.
>
> This is correct, there are two shortcuts sections, one for xfwm and
> one for entire xfce.
> The latter overrides the wm and unfortunately there are little things
> we can do to change that. However, you could remove the bindings at
> the shortcuts section of the keyboard settings dialog.

Thanks for the answer. I would be quite happy with your suggestion,
but unfortunately i see no F1 or F2 shortcuts defined in my keyboard
settings dialog! The shortcuts defined in there are CTRL+Esc, Alt+F1,
CTRL+Alt+Del, Alt+F2, and CTRL+Alt+Esc.

So it would seem that F1 and F2 are overwritten at some other level...