Rippling effect when moving windows or scrolling

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Mon Mar 12 22:59:47 CET 2007

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 03/12/07 08:05, TerryJ wrote:
>

>> AFAIK, I'm using the "open source" driver.  I did not get a driver from
>> nVidia but I'm thinking of doing so.  I've been given a link about DPI
>> but it means almost nothing to me.  I've had to put KateOS in the hobby
>> basket for now (which means I'll get almost nothing done on it).  The
>> link, as a matter of interest, is
>> http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8178/README/appendix-y.html
>>

> "nv" is the (open source) driver in x.org (originally in XFree86)
> that is specifically tailored 2D operations in NVIDIA cards.
>

>> Regarding Ron Johnson's question, I'll have to look through KateOS's
>> repository/ies to find out which version is installed.  I'm surprised
>> that there is, apparently, such a major change for the worse in Vesa.  I
>> don't know what is happening to free software.  So many apps I use seem
>> to be getting worse instead of better. :-\
>>

> "vesa" is the driver-of-last-resort.  It was, is, and always will
> be, the slowest and most host-CPU intensive driver.

Right, thanks.  "nv" causes weird font display sizes in *some* windows.
Generally, the fonts are over-sized but, in the case of Thunderbird, the
fonts look smaller than they should.

I have avoided those issues (until now) in PCLOS by using Vesa.  It has
been perfect - no font size distortions and no speed issues.  My point
was that, on this (older version of) PCLOS, *Vesa works well* whereas,
on the (newer version of) KateOS, Vesa does NOT work well.

One strange (to me) result.  I was using a common ~/.kde/share/config
folder for PCLOS and KateOS and, now, some of the KDE dialogues have
been "infected" on KDE apps in PCLOS - they are ridiculously large.  I
am using the apps in Xfce.

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS 0.93 and KateOS 3.2. www.revivalcentres.org