Xfce4.4 - Sensor-plugin stopped working

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Sat Mar 3 10:19:29 CET 2007

Am Samstag, den 03.03.2007, 00:46 -0300 schrieb John Coppens:

> Pity - I can't, because the K8 sensors are only recognized from 2.10 on.
> But I have another indication that may be helpful. I switched back to
> kernel 2.6.18 and the sensor-plugin started working again. 'sensors'
> works with both 2.6.18 and 2.6.19. Sensor plugin doesn't with 2.6.19.
>
> > > Anyway, only 'hard disks' appears in sensor types, with no items.
> >
> > As long as "hddtemp /dev/<harddiskdevicefile>" prints useful output,
> > the plugin shall display the device. So you might want to test that at
> > first.
>
> I have no data at all from the harddisks. Only the header 'Hard disks'
> appears on the sensor-plugin setup combobox. When running kernel 2.6.18,
> also the w83627 sensors appear. (with valid data)

> John
> PS: The distro is mainly Slackware 11.0, though some parts have been
> updated by me (such as the kernel). libsensors.so.3.1.1, and
> hddtemp is not installed.

OK, in order to sum up, we can say that on the one hand the "sensor
item" for hard disks is shown wrongly on kernel 2.6.19 (there are no
disks to be monitored). Is this also the case for 2.6.18 and earlier?

As a second item, the interface to libsensors works very well with
linux-2.6.28, while with 2.6.19 no sensor chip is detected at all?

I will address those problems in May when my diploma thesis will
hopefully be finished (dunno where to take the space for linux-2.619
on /boot from, but I'm still waiting for new hard disks donated to
me ;). As I already did lots of work concerning the internal sensors
management, there also is no real chance for anyone to help out. Sorry
for the bad news. You might want to try the lua-plugin with a little
lua-script reading the output of sensors periodically instead of the
"one and only" sensors-plugin ;)

Best regards, Fabian