Xfce4.4 - Sensor-plugin stopped working

timystery at arcor.de timystery at arcor.de
Fri Mar 2 20:33:31 CET 2007

Hi!

> Thanks for the reply. I downloaded 0.10.0, and quickly compiled before I
> have to leave. No luck either.
>
> I wonder if this has something to do with the new parameter that comes
> out of sensors, which is the sensor inside the AMD K8 chips. This wasn't
> present in kernel 2.6.18, but was added in 2.6.19 (apparently). Could
> this confuse the sensor plugin?

Ahem, the sensors-plugin uses libsensors. Now, sensors is a program that
reads values from libsensors, just like xfce4-sensors-plugin does. It may
change its output during versions and development just like the sensors-plugin
does.

It is possible, that the changes from libsensors-2.9 to libsensors-2.10 make the
plugin disfunctional. Use libsensors-2.9 or older then.

> Anyway, only 'hard disks' appears in sensor types, with no items.

As long as "hddtemp /dev/<harddiskdevicefile>" prints useful output, the plugin
shall display the device. So you might want to test that at first.

> Will check later if 'make install' installed correctly.

Ahem, "make install" writes its install path right when installing the files when using the "install"-command. This output should also be contained in the log file. The normal installation path when installing from source is /usr/local/share/xfce4/panel-plugins. So, as long as you have an old sensors-plugin from your distribution still installed to some other location, it is possible that this one be found first. Try renaming the old version by adding a suffix like ".backup".

If it all points out that the fault lies in the sensors-plugin, then please give me your kernel version, distribution and version, libensensors version, the output of the hddtemp commands and the sensors-detect and sensors program.

Fabian