Running Firefox in a While-loop for Kiosk

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 06:05:46 CEST 2007

On 7/17/07, alexgill at tekwerx.biz <alexgill at tekwerx.biz> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have an LTSP setup with Firefox running atop XFCE (xfwm and xfdesktop) for the purpose of providing kiosk functionality.  My goal is to have FF always up -- and so it'd re-open after being closed.
>
> I'm using the "autostart" feature to launch the script at startup:
>     while true; do /usr/bin/firefox; done;
> Sometime this gets out of hand and will start launching ad infinitum....  But other times, it works nicely.
>
> Has anyone every tried having such a large app loop like this?  Any advice on getting Firefox to always relauch in a sane and reliable way??

Despite using Xfce this isn't really an Xfce specific question. You
could ask your local LUG if it has a mailing list, or the like.

Last time I use Gnome however, I recall it's session manager being
able to watch if a process closes and restart it. Firefox is a little
tricky in that /usr/bin/firefox is actually a shell script that sets
up the environment for the firefox-bin binary. You could check the
process list periodically for firefox-bin, and restart it when
required

> TIA, Alex Gill

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson