Composite manager causes graphic gliches

polytan polytan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:47:12 CEST 2007

I use the radeon driver with ati 9600 pro AND I have dri enabled !

You just have to use a recent driver (May or June 2006) and It's ok (with
mesa, etc.). I can use compiz-fusion and xmoto, everything onto xfce.

Moreover, I prefer to use only xfce because the desktop has a better
configuration (and compiz doesn't really add fun features (compared to the
stability with xfce) (that's just my opinion and it's not the debate here)).

I used these HOWTO (for gentoo, but you can try them) :

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_DRI_with_ATi_Open-Source_Drivers <= section
with the modules compiled with the kernel (ok with 2.6.21 and 2.6.22, I just
had to add a few links and permissions to /dev/dri/card0 )
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_compiz-fusion

Personally, I *really* prefer the open source driver because a lot more
stable with this graphical card !

If you want, I can post my xorg.conf.

Cheers,

Polytan

2007/7/17, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com>:

> On 7/16/07, Erik Harrison <erikharrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does this or similar occur with other compositing managers, or just
> Xfce's?
>
> I really doubt it would come from xfwm4 compositing manager. It has
> proved to be very stable and reliable and it works just fine with
> NVidia or simply no acceleration at all.
>
> This being said, most work is being done on OpenGL compositing in Xorg
> because of Beryl and Compiz, so it may work with these compositior
> since they are not using Render but OpenGL.
>
> So I'm not quite sure the question is really relevant.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

  -=( Polytan )=-